The South Carolina High School League voted to extend the football regular season schedule in response to the several games that had to be rescheduled because of Hurricane Florence.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster's order for the closure of all state offices and public schools in 26 counties – including Aiken County – has had an effect on the scheduling of several high school sporting events.
Vote for your favorite performance from Week 3 of the high school football season. The winner will receive a week's worth of Chick-fil-a of Aiken gift cards. The finalist are:
Fox Creek takes on McCormick in Week 3 action. The Predators are seeking their third win of the season. Coverage starts at 7 p.m. Game starts at 7:30 p.m.
Barnwell head coach Dwayne Garrick knows he can line Dallyon Creech up anywhere on the field and be confident in the junior's playmaking ability. That came in handy last week.
In the fourth episode of the Aiken Standard's weekly football preview show we discuss this week's slate of games, which features several area teams making the trip to the Midlands. As always, we hand out Game Balls to Week 2's top performers and name the Chick-fil-A Fan Favorite Player of the Week.
North Augusta faces off with Grovetown in Week 2 action. The Yellow Jackets have opened the season with two wins over opponents from Georgia. Coverage starts at 7 p.m. Game starts at 7:30 p.m.
The North Augusta Yellow Jackets haven't made things easy the last two Friday nights, but they've found two different ways to come away with wins against their Georgia opponents.
Sometimes it takes a football player a while to get into a groove to start the season. It didn't take Silver Bluff running back Jimmie Foreman long at all.
In the third episode of the Aiken Standard's weekly football preview show we discuss a big week of games, including the Barnwell, Silver Bluff rivalry matchup. As always, we hand out Game Balls to Week 0's top performers, name the Chick-fil-A Fan Favorite Player of the Week.
It's a rivalry that has created some of the biggest moments in CSRA football. This season's version of the Silver Bluff vs. Barnwell showdown will have a bit of a throwback feel to it.
There was a slight shake up in the S.C. Prep Media Football Poll after Week 1, but five area schools still remained ranked with two other area teams receiving votes.
Midland Valley faces off with Grovetown in Week 1 action. It's the Mustangs second game against Class 6A opponent from Georgia. Coverage starts at 7 p.m. Game starts at 7:30 p.m.
Midland Valley head coach Andrew Jenkins believes the first quarter of last Friday's game against Lakeside (Ga.) was more indicative of the Mustangs' brand of football.
Of course there were nerves; what player wouldn't have them ahead of his first start as QB1? Head coach Dwayne Garrick calmed those by telling Craig Pender he would be a team captain for Barnwell's season opener against Williston-Elko.
In the second episode of the Aiken Standard's weekly football preview show we discuss the new media poll, hand out Game Balls to Week 0's top performers, name the Chick-fil-A Fan Favorite Player of the Week and discuss this week's slate of area games.
The 2018 football season got off to a fast start in Week Zero, with several strong offensive performances. Here are some of the area's top performers from Friday night:
Following their season-opening thrashing of Williston-Elko, the Barnwell football team remained the No. 2 ranked Class AA team in the S.C. Prep Media Football Poll.
South Aiken weathered the storm early and shook off some of the mistakes that could be expected from a young team.
In the end, the youth caught up with them.
- Prince Edward visits Aiken, plays court tennis
- Florence brings some wind, rain to Aiken
- Florence gives Aiken County a wet weekend
- Prince Edward's visit to Aiken on Monday has been canceled
- Aiken woman charged with DUI in fatal collision on Augusta Road
- Highway Patrol is asking for help with information in Aiken County hit and run
- Aiken County car crash sends two to Augusta hospital with 'serious' injuries
- Authorities seek help finding wanted Aiken man
- Crime blotter for Sept. 16
- Report: Aiken's older population will continue to grow
- Battle in the Alley
- ADPS' Lt. Karl Odenthal Retires
- The Holistic and Wellness Fair
- Aiken County Animal Shelter pets for adoption for Sept. 14
- Most Wanted by Aiken County Sheriff's Office: Sept. 11
- Wildlife Appreciation 101, for Seniors
- Tenth Annual Prism Concert
- Aiken County Animal Shelter pets for adoption for Sept. 7
- Most Wanted by Aiken County Sheriff's Office: Sept. 18
- Aiken's Makin' opens as crowds flock to downtown