The South Carolina High School League voted to extend the football regular season schedule in response to the several games that had to be rescheduled because of Hurricane Florence.
Hurricane Florence's impact has forced South Carolina and Clemson to alter their football schedules. South Carolina's game against Marshall has been canceled, and Clemson moved the start time of its game against Georgia Southern to Noon on Saturday.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster's order for the closure of all state offices and public schools in 26 counties – including Aiken County – has had an effect on the scheduling of several high school sporting events.
Vote for your favorite performance from Week 3 of the high school football season. The winner will receive a week's worth of Chick-fil-a of Aiken gift cards. The finalist are:
Jacob Gonzalez can remember the time he saw the iconic moment that made his father, five-time MLB All-Star and 2001 World Series Champion Luis Gonzalez, a "hero" to many Arizona Diamondbacks' fans.
Fox Creek takes on McCormick in Week 3 action. The Predators are seeking their third win of the season. Coverage starts at 7 p.m. Game starts at 7:30 p.m.
Barnwell head coach Dwayne Garrick knows he can line Dallyon Creech up anywhere on the field and be confident in the junior's playmaking ability. That came in handy last week.
In the fourth episode of the Aiken Standard's weekly football preview show we discuss this week's slate of games, which features several area teams making the trip to the Midlands. As always, we hand out Game Balls to Week 2's top performers and name the Chick-fil-A Fan Favorite Player of the Week.
An endorsement deal between Nike and Colin Kaepernick prompted a flood of debate Tuesday as sports fans reacted to the apparel giant backing an athlete known mainly for starting a wave of protests among NFL players of police brutality, racial inequality and other social issues.
COLUMBIA — South Carolina quarterback Jake Bentley is excited about his team's new, fast-paced offense. He believes the 24th-ranked Gamecocks will be able to move the ball effectively this week against No. 3 Georgia.
North Augusta faces off with Grovetown in Week 2 action. The Yellow Jackets have opened the season with two wins over opponents from Georgia. Coverage starts at 7 p.m. Game starts at 7:30 p.m.
The North Augusta Yellow Jackets haven't made things easy the last two Friday nights, but they've found two different ways to come away with wins against their Georgia opponents.
Aiken Standard sports reporter Kyle Dawson, with the help of some of the area's influential golfer figures, puts together a dream 18-hole golf course made up of some of holes from the area's favorite courses.
Sometimes it takes a football player a while to get into a groove to start the season. It didn't take Silver Bluff running back Jimmie Foreman long at all.
In the third episode of the Aiken Standard's weekly football preview show we discuss a big week of games, including the Barnwell, Silver Bluff rivalry matchup. As always, we hand out Game Balls to Week 0's top performers, name the Chick-fil-A Fan Favorite Player of the Week.
When Rashad Byrd takes the field on Saturday in Georgia Southern's season opener, it'll be an all too familiar feeling for him. The quarterback he and the Eagles defenders will be chasing around is none other than former Strom Thurmond High School quarterback Tyrece Nick.
It's a rivalry that has created some of the biggest moments in CSRA football. This season's version of the Silver Bluff vs. Barnwell showdown will have a bit of a throwback feel to it.
There was a slight shake up in the S.C. Prep Media Football Poll after Week 1, but five area schools still remained ranked with two other area teams receiving votes.
- Prince Edward visits Aiken, plays court tennis
- Florence brings some wind, rain to Aiken
- Florence gives Aiken County a wet weekend
- Prince Edward's visit to Aiken on Monday has been canceled
- Aiken woman charged with DUI in fatal collision on Augusta Road
- Highway Patrol is asking for help with information in Aiken County hit and run
- Aiken County car crash sends two to Augusta hospital with 'serious' injuries
- Authorities seek help finding wanted Aiken man
- Crime blotter for Sept. 16
- Report: Aiken's older population will continue to grow
- Battle in the Alley
- ADPS' Lt. Karl Odenthal Retires
- The Holistic and Wellness Fair
- Aiken County Animal Shelter pets for adoption for Sept. 14
- Most Wanted by Aiken County Sheriff's Office: Sept. 11
- Wildlife Appreciation 101, for Seniors
- Tenth Annual Prism Concert
- Aiken County Animal Shelter pets for adoption for Sept. 7
- Most Wanted by Aiken County Sheriff's Office: Sept. 18
- Aiken's Makin' opens as crowds flock to downtown