SPARTANBURG -- Georgia Southern's Jaybo Shaw ran 15 times for 60 yards and threw for a touchdown as the Eagles beat Wofford 23-20 on Saturday in the quarterfinals of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs. Georgia Southern (10-4) led 20-3 at half and was able to withstand a furious comeback by the Terriers (10-3) to win their sixth straight game. The Terriers hurt themselves with mistakes. They turned the ball over on their first two possessions, leading to touchdowns. And they lost a chance for a final drive with a face mask after appearing to stop the Eagles on third down with 2 minutes left. Georgia Southern advances to the semifinals for the first time since winning its sixth national title in 2002. The Eagles travel to No. 3 seed Delaware next week. The win continues Georgia Southern rise back to national prominence in the FCS. The Eagles were 4-4 at one point, but ended a five-year playoff drought by winning their last three in a row, including breaking Appalachian State's 26-game Southern Conference winning streak. First-year Georgia Southern coach Jeff Monken reinstalled its traditional option attack this season, as the Eagles ran for 168 yards Saturday. But Georgia Southern's first touchdown came on a 25-yard pass from Shaw to a wide open Tray Butler. Shaw also completed a couple of key throws in the final minute of the second quarter that led to a field goal that put the Eagles up 20-3 at the break. And on third-and-6 late in the fourth quarter, Shaw threw a 13-yard pass to J.J. Wilcox to keep Wofford from getting a chance for a final drive. The Terriers outgained Georgia Southern 343 yards to 246 yards. But mistakes killed them. Wofford fumbled six times, losing two of them, including one scooped up by Eagles defensive end John Douglas for a 20-yard touchdown. A 50-yard pass on Wofford's first drive got called back because of a block in the back. Eric Breitenstein ran 23 times for 102 yards. But no one else for the Terriers ran for more than 25 yards. Quarterback Mitch Allen was 8-for-12 for 160 yards and Brenton Bersin had five catches for 99 yards as Wofford had to pass more than usual to try and come back. Robert Brown ran 17 times for 50 yards. Shaw was 5-of-11 passing for 78 yards and Butler caught two passes for 39 yards for the Eagles. Villanova 42, Appalachian State 24 BOONE, N.C. -- Receiver Matt Szcur rushed for two touchdown, passed for one and caught another to lead Villanova to a win over Appalachian State in the Football Championship Subdivision quarterfinal. The Wildcats (9-4) will face Eastern Washington next weekend in the semifinal. Villanova led 21-10 after Szcur's passing score to Norman White for 54 yards and his 31-yard touchdown catch from Chris Whitney. Szcur's 25-yard run in the second marked the first time he's passed, caught and rushed for a score in one game. He scored from 1 yard out in the fourth. Whitney's 5-yard run made it 42-24 for Villanova. DeAndre Presley threw two touchdown passes of 14 and 38 yards -- both in the second half -- for Appalachian State (10-3). The Mountaineers scored on their opening drive, with Travaris Cadet's 46-yard run. Eastern Washington 38, North Dakota State 31 (OT) CHENEY, Wash. -- Bo Levi Mitchell threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Hart on the first play of overtime and Eastern Washington recovered a goal-line fumble by quarterback Brock Jensen to beat North Dakota State in the quarterfinals of the FCS playoffs. Taiwan Jones rushed for a career-high 230 yards for the fifth-seeded Eagles (11-2), who will host Villanova either Friday or Saturday in the semifinals. With the Bison (9-5) facing second-and-goal at the Eastern Washington 4-yard line, Jensen was hit by J.C. Sherritt and the ball came loose when his hands hit the turf. Zach Johnson recovered in the end zone.