COLUMBIA -- A South Carolina native on the plane that landed in New York's Hudson River says he saw sparks flying from the engine just minutes after takeoff. Billy Campbell heard a "kind of an explosion, a thud" within 10 minutes of takeoff from LaGuardia Airport on Thursday afternoon, The Greenville News reported in Friday's newspapers. "'I need you to tighten your seat belt, put your head down' and sort of those fateful words I think we'll all probably remember, 'Prepare for impact,"' Campbell told the paper, recalling the pilot's instructions. The pilot guided the hobbled US Airways jetliner over New York City and into the frigid river. All 155 on board were pulled to safety. Campbell, former president of Discovery Networks U.S., told the newspaper he scrambled out of the sinking plane through the front and called his father in Greenville as he waited in the icy water. Two women from Gaffney who are buyers for Hamrick's department store were also on board. Brent Childers told the Herald-Journal of Spartanburg that his wife, Shae, travels to New York several times a year for business and was being treated for hypothermia. Childers, who spoke to his wife several times after impact, told the paper she said she held onto the wing until rescue crews arrived. Amy Jolly, who was also on the buying trip, described hearing a large pop and feeling the pilot turn the plane around, said Deb Clark, who was traveling with the women and planned to leave New York a day later. Jolly also told co-workers the pilot warned passengers to brace for impact just before they hit the water, Clark said. Michael Nunn, an attorney from Florence, was picked up by a nearby ferry, his wife, Lee Nunn, told WMBF-TV. He was not injured. "It's totally amazing," Clark said. "When you think of a plane crash, you naturally think the worst. The pilot must have done great." Larry Snodgrass, of Lake Wylie, grabbed his cell phone as the plane went down, sending a text message to his wife telling her an engine was on fire and he loved her with all his heart. He said his eyes were shut as the plane hit the water, and he opened them in disbelief when he realized he was still alive. "Every man I saw started helping ladies out, the kids," Snodgrass told The Herald of Rock Hill. "Almost everybody seemed more concerned with the person on their left or right. Sure, there was a couple people climbing over seats, trying to get out, but it was all surprisingly calm." Snodgrass, a sales manager for a chemical company, was one of the last people off the plane. He called his wife as he stood in shin-deep water on the wing, waiting to be rescued. She was distraught, watching television and fearing the worst after getting that text message. Less than 24 hours later, Snodgrass was back home, humble and thankful to be alive. "The man above decided it was not our time," he said.