By HALEY HUGHES, Staff writer Aiken's PetSmart has removed all Cockatiels from its store as a precautionary measure since random testing in its other stores revealed some of the birds had been exposed to or were infected with a certain type of bacteria, a store manager said Saturday. The bacteria causes an infection called psittacosis, which is treatable, and in rare cases can be transferred to humans causing respiratory infections. Psittacosis is not the bird flu. It can infect all types of birds, but is usually found in birds of the parrot family. PetSmart believes the infected birds came from one supplier, Preferred Birds, and were exposed to the bacteria before arriving in stores. "They haven't told us to do it (removing the birds), but it is a precautionary measure," said Pet Care Manager John Crumbeck. "We pulled out the Cockatiels over one month ago." After cases of the infection were confirmed in Georgia, the Georgia Department of Agriculture quarantined all PetSmart stores in that state and a SuperPetz store in Martinez. It is unclear if PetSmart in Aiken sold any birds carrying the bacteria before the quarantine. At the stores where cases have been confirmed, PetSmart is contacting customers who bought a bird on or after Oct. 3. The quarantine applies only to birds and not to other animals. A person who answered the phone at Aiken's SuperPetz said the store declined to comment. "We are treating the birds in store with a broad spectrum antibiotic," Crumbeck said. "We aren't going to be selling any birds until about mid-January." Humans can come into contact with the bacteria by inhaling dust from dried bird feces or from hand-to-mouth exposure after handling a bird. In humans, it can cause flu-like symptoms with a fever, chills and headaches and is treated with antibiotics. In birds, the infection can cause a bird to appear drowsy, eat poorly, have runny eyes, a runny nose and diarrhea. According to PetSmart's website, birds that are treated generally recover. If your bird is exhibiting these symptoms, you are encouraged to contact a veterinarian. If you have concerns about your health, contact your health care provider.