The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program will soon become available at the H. Odell Weeks Activities Center to provide help with the upcoming tax season.
The program will be available starting Feb. 4 and will last until April 10. During that time, IRS-certified and supervised volunteers will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Wednesday to assist those of lower to moderate income with filing their taxes. This program is free of charge.
Assistance will be provided on a first come, first served basis. Taxpayers should expect long delays during the first few weeks of tax season. There may be an early cutoff before 4 p.m. to wait in line if a large amount of people are seeking assistance in the afternoon.
Those seeking a joint return are reminded to bring their spouse with them.
The VITA program is supported by the City of Aiken, Area Churches Serving Together, and United Way of Aiken County.
Want to use the VITA program?
Here's what you need to bring with you to Odell Weeks to take advantage of this program.
• Photo ID
• Social Security Card for yourself, spouse, and all dependents
• W-2 form for every job held in 2018
• 1099 for all bank interest, dividends, Social Security, pensions, annuities, IRA distributions, stock sales, etc.
• Cost basis for stock or other capital assets sold
• Last Year’s Tax Return
• Documents about health insurance under the Affordable Care Act including Form 1095-A as applicable
• Any other relevant information
The H. Odell Weeks Activities Center is located at 1700 Whiskey Road.