Centerra-SRS, the security contractor at the Department of Energy’s Savannah River Site, held a golf tournament that raised $19,000 for the United Way of Aiken County at Houndslake Country Club on Oct. 30.
The money will be donated to the United Way’s 2015 fundraising campaign. It will be used to support United Way agencies that provide assistance to local residents in the areas of health, education and self-sufficiency.
Blue Cross Blue Shield was a Gold Sponsor for the tournament, and Innovative Reasoning LLC and CBI AREVA MOX Services LLC were Silver Sponsors.
Coca-Cola provided beverages for the golfers, and 20 companies and organizations sponsored holes on the golf course.
Because of the generosity of more than 60 companies and individuals, more than $10,000 in prizes and awards was given away to participants.
“I’m very proud that my company is once again hosting this golf tournament in support of the United Way,” said Mark Bolton, general manager for Centerra-SRS. “This was a perfect day for golf and everyone really enjoyed themselves. Through the generosity of all the golfers and supporting companies, we were able to raise $19,000 for the United Way. I would like to thank our golf tournament committee and volunteers who worked very hard to make this tournament a success.”
Centerra-SRS previously hosted one of the largest charity golf tournaments locally from 1988 to 2008 and resurrected the tournament this year. A group of Centerra-SRS volunteers planned and coordinated the tournament. Those volunteers already are making plans for the 2016 tournament.
Centerra-SRS provided the following list of tournament winners:
• First place team gross – Bubba Bolen, Dale Kendrick, Danny Lowe and Casey Rains
• First place team net – Brandon Stanford, Eric Mackey and Michael Benjamin
• Second place team net – Jeff Jenik, Robbie Smith, Jeff Waddell and Randy Warrick
• Third place team net – Ron Bartholomew, Carl Jacobs, Fulton Ray and Jordan Rhoads
• Longest drive men – Mike Benjamin
• Longest drive men’s senior – Ron Bartholomew
• Longest drive women – Lisa Painter
• Closest to the pin awards – Casey Rains, Fulton Ray, Keith Downs and Eric Holmes
• Chipping contest – Harvey Key
• Putting contest – Casey Rains