ERROR: Macro head/script_googleAnalytics is missing!
Saturday, March 30, 2013
Saturday evening proved to be a very special one for Shelby Kenrick, who was chosen as the 2013 winner of the Miss North Augusta Senior High pageant.
Kenrick, the daughter of Jennifer Burns Kenrick and Steve and Suzanne Kenrick, could only describe the magical moment as shocking.
"As soon as they announced that I was the new Miss NASH, it was almost surreal," she said. "I've watched so many girls, growing up, get crowned - and it's crazy that this year it was my turn. I got teary-eyed at first, because it is my senior year, and I never imagined that it would be me winning."
Kenrick also won the evening gown and Miss Photogenic portions of the event. It was the culmination of four years of work, as she competed all three years as an underclassman.
"This year, I prepared more than I have in the past three years competing," she said. "I got coaching from Brittany's House of Elegance, and I also practiced a ton on my own. I knew this year was the most important one. I've competed every year in high school. My freshman year, I was first runner up, then I was Miss Sophomore, and then Miss Junior and now miss NASH 2013. It's crazy to think about."
Lynn Garrick, the pageant director, noted that Kenrick has grown throughout the years and that she will "do a great job representing the school."
Kenrick previously attended North Augusta Elementary through fourth grade and then moved on to Mossy Creek the year it opened for her fifth grade year. She has been a member of The Beta Club, Student Council, National Honor Society, National Art Honors Society, Spark Worship, FCA, Sandspurs, Interact Club, Spanish Club, Mu Alpha Theta, Serteens, SADD chapter, 5-2 Break, Homecoming Committee, sophomore and junior advisory, as well as a powderpuff player. She also has been a cheerleader for four years and is an honors student.
She plans to attend Anderson University in the fall and major in graphic communications.
Following the event, Kenrick and her family made sure to celebrate.
"My family, after crowning, took a million photos, I swear," she said. "I was posing for at least 25 minutes, but it wasn't so bad. We all went out to Mellow Mushroom after and had a fun time."
Her dad also commented on the special moment.
"Besides the tears that came out of my eyes, I thought how hard she had worked for this and how proud I was of her and this accomplishment," Steve Kenrick said. "Also how beautiful she looked up there on the stage. I was proud to be her dad. I just couldn't stop taking pictures of her. I wanted this to last forever."
As did her mom.
"It was a great way to end her last year at North Augusta, and I was so glad that she was able to participate because it helped her to be more confident and poised, and those things will help her once she graduates and goes to college," Jennifer Burns Kenrick said.
Amelia Carter, who won Miss Senior and won in the sportswear division, was also quick to point out how special this year's senior class was.
"All four seniors are great friends of mine and are absolutely gorgeous on stage," she said. "Each and every one of us deserved it. I'm sure we were all only a few points apart. Miss NASH is such a fun program, and I would recommend it to anyone."
The scale of the event also was quite large - a sellout crowd.
"Oh my gosh, everyone was cheering, and I just couldn't have asked for a better turnout or a more successful evening," she said. "All of the girls were just gorgeous on stage. The on-stage question portion was just fantastic. North Augusta has some beautiful girls, but also some intelligent, well-spoken girls."
MISS NASH WINNERS
• Shelby Kenrick - Miss NASH 2013, Evening Gown and Miss Photogenic
• Amelia Carter - Miss Senior and Sportswear
• Bailie Sparks - First runner-up, Highest GPA, People's Choice
• Kaitlin Wooden - Second runner-up
• Hannah Reese - Miss Congeniality and Third runner-up
• Allison Owings - Miss Junior, Miss Congeniality, Sportswear and People's Choice
• Elle Anderson - First runner-up, Miss Photogenic and Evening Gown
• Amber Johnson - Second runner-up
• Olivia Oates - Third runner-up
• Murphy Bazemore - Miss Sophomore and Miss Photogenic
• Madison Johnston - First runner-up
• Anna Huff - Second runner-up
• Abbe Webb - Third runner-up and Miss Congeniality
• Candace Channell - Fourth runner-up, Miss Sweetheart and People's Choice
• Samantha Fox - Overall Sportswear
• Kimberly Bogle - Overall Evening Gown
• Cara Odom - Miss Freshman
• Natalie Jones - First runner-up and People's Choice
• Savannah Ditty - Second runner-up and Miss Photogenic
• Katherine Coyle - Third runner-up
• Hailey Dyer - Fourth runner-up
• Kassidy Sullivan - Miss Congeniality and second runner-up Miss Sweetheart
• Shay Walker - First runner-up Miss Sweetheart
• Lauren Prather - Evening Gown
• Miss Sweetheart was determined by who brought in the most sponsorships. Seven girls participated and brought in $3,210. The winner got an iPad Mini and the runners up received digital cameras.
• Miss NASH received a $500 scholarship, Miss Senior received a $300 scholarship, first, second and third runners-up received $100 scholarships and the Highest GPA received a $300 scholarship.