Palace Malice doing fine after disappointing Whitney loss
Dogwood Stable’s Palace Malice was doing well on Sunday morning after finishing a disappointing sixth as the heavy favorite in the grade I Whitney Handicap at Saratoga Racecourse on Aug. 2.
“He is perfectly fine,” said Dogwood President Cot Campbell in a telephone interview from upstate New York. “I just saw him, and he was bouncing around in his stall. He wanted peppermints, and he wanted to bite people.”
Palace Malice’s blood was tested, and the results were normal. An examination of his throat didn’t detect any evidence of internal bleeding.
“There is no obvious problem,” Campbell said.
Palace Malice was undefeated in four races this year prior to the Whitney, and he was ranked No. 1 in the most recent edition of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association’s top Thoroughbred poll.
“I’ve never known him to run a race where he actually quit, but that’s what he did in the Whitney,” Campbell said. “He’s had problems before that he couldn’t overcome – some of which he created – but I’ve never known him to stop like that. We’ll just have to draw a line through the race and chalk it up to one of those inexplicable days.”
Palace Malice is scheduled to run next in the grade I Woodward Stakes on Aug. 30 at Saratoga. The 4-year-old colt has a career record of seven wins in 17 starts and earnings of $2,676,135.
Prior to the Whitney, Palace Malice hadn’t raced since scoring by a length in the grade I Metropolitan Handicap on June 7 at Belmont Park. Last year, the son of Curlin captured the grade I Belmont Stakes.