FBI: Kidnapped South Carolina man rescued after 6 days in North Carolina

COLUMBIA (AP) — Federal agents said they have rescued a 23-year-old St. Matthews man in North Carolina six days after he was kidnapped as part of an international plot.


The FBI said in a statement that the man was found around 5 a.m. on Tuesday in a home in Cumberland County in North Carolina.


The man was kidnapped on July 9, and agents said the kidnappers began making demands to the victim’s family.


The FBI released few details about the plot. The statement said it was an elaborate plot with ties overseas. Agents said they aren’t releasing the victim’s name to protect his safety.


The FBI said three people were arrested, but did not release their names. Agents said more arrests are likely.


Ku Klux Klan hands out candy in Oconee County

SENECA (AP) — Some Oconee County residents said they found bags of candy on their street containing a piece of paper asking them to join the Ku Klux Klan.


Residents in a Seneca subdivision found the bags Saturday night or Sunday morning.


The paper said “Save Our Land, Join the Klan.” It had a phone number that led to an automated message discussing KKK efforts against illegal immigration.


Robert Jones told WHNS-TV that he is the imperial klaliff of the Loyal White Knights and said the effort was part of a recruiting event they hold three times a year. Jones said the telephone number gets about 20,000 calls per day.


Oconee County resident Bo Morris said he thought it was “unacceptable” to see the bags and fliers in his neighborhood.


Four arrested in Richland County shooting death

COLUMBIA (AP) — Richland County sheriff’s deputies said four people have been arrested and charged in the shooting death of a man earlier this year.


Sheriff Leon Lott said on Tuesday that three men have been charged with murder and attempted armed robbery. A woman has been charged with failure to report a crime.


Lott said 20-year-old Devin Smith, 20-year-old Caleb Blocker and 21-year-old Marquel King Ross are accused of assaulting two men and killing 39-year-old Luis Enrique Conteras-Teran.


Lott said 20-year-old Tationna Sowell approached the victims at a bar on March 14 and appeared to be soliciting sex. The suspects followed the group to a home where the victims were attacked.


The sheriff said the suspects were looking for money to steal from the victims.


It was not clear if the suspects have lawyers.