COLUMBIA (AP) — A South Carolina boys' home has settled a lawsuit by a former resident who said he was sexually assaulted by an older child.


Attorneys for the 11-year-old boy said Friday they had settled a lawsuit against the Boys Home of the South and the Department of Social Services.


The lawsuit accused the 52-bed nonprofit in Belton of turning a blind eye to problems that they should have known would end up with children being harmed. The lawsuit also accused DSS of gross negligence and violating the victim's rights to adequate care and a safe placement.


Court papers show the case was settled earlier this year for an undisclosed sum. A DSS spokeswoman did not immediately comment on the case.