On April 24, 1890, members of 63 women’s clubs from the United States came together to form the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
GFWC has grown into an international women’s organization of more than 100,000 members dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer services.
South Carolina club women became federated as the General Federation of Women’s Clubs of South Carolina in 1898.
The Sand River Woman’s Club was granted charter by the GFWC in 1983.
Recently, Sand River Woman’s Club members gathered at the Aiken County Historical Museum to celebrate the club’s 30 years of community service. Charter members, former members, current members and invited guests met for an afternoon tea where old acquaintances were renewed and new friendships were established. Memorabilia on display included past presidents’ scrapbooks, photos, pins, insignia and award certificates.
Charter members were reminded that their legacy not only lives on but flourishes. During 2013 alone, club members completed 62 projects, volunteered 3,286 hours and contributed many dollars in service to the community.