A young boy playing with a lighter caused about $25,000 damage to his home on Tuesday, according to the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office.
The blaze happened about 1:30 p.m. at a home on Princess Lane in Aiken, according to a sheriff’s report.
Investigators said a 5-year-old boy tried to light his toy car on fire with a “candle lighter.”
An adult in the home told officers she was unaware that the boy was playing with lighters, the report stated.
The report didn’t indicate the extent of damage to the home, but the property owner told officers he estimated the damage to be about $25,000.
Blaze reportedly started by child playing with lighter
Notice about comments:
Aiken Standard is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.