Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Most school districts in the CSRA have announced they either plan to release students early today or will be closed due to the impending winter storm.
• Aiken County Schools will be closed Wednesday.
• USC Aiken has canceled classes beginning at noon today and will resume classes at noon Wednesday. University offices will close at 5 p.m today and reopen at noon on Wednesday. Any events on campus scheduled after 5 p.m. today will be canceled. Any offices normally open after 5 p.m. will also be closed.
• Aiken Technical College will close at 12:30 p.m. today and will be closed Wednesday. Classes will resume Thursday.
• Edgefield County Schools will be released early today. Elementary schools will dismiss at 12:15 p.m., middle schools will dismiss at 1:10 p.m., and high school will dismiss as 1:15 pm. Schools will be closed Wednesday and will be delayed by 2 hours Thursday.
• Richmond County Schools are closed today and Wednesday.
• South Aiken Baptist Christian School will have early dismissals today: Daycare will dismiss at 12:30 p.m., 3K and 4K will dismiss at 11 a.m., 5K through seventh grade will dismiss at noon, Eighth through 12th grade will dismiss at12:15 p.m.
• Our Lady Of Peace School in North Augusta will open at 10 a.m. today.
• Barnwell District 19 will close at 11 a.m. today and will be closed Wednesday.
• Williston District 29 will close at 11 a.m. today and will be closed Wednesday.
• Barnwell District 45 will close at 11 a.m. today.
• Barnwell Academy will close at 11 a.m. today.
• Mead Hall Episcopal School will have early dismissal today: 3K, 4K, 5K students will be dismissed at 1 p.m.; grades 1-4 will be dismissed at 1:15 p.m.; grades 5-12 will be dismissed at 1:15 p.m. Mead Hall will be closed Wednesday.
• All Aiken County Head Start programs will close at noon today. They will be closed Wednesday and open on a two-hour delay Thursday.
• All Hammond Hill Elementary after-school programs have been cancelled.
• St. John's United Methodist preschool, Mother's Day out and kindergarten will be closed Wednesday
• Limestone College - Aiken and Columbia campuses' classes have been canceled this evening.
High school games postponed
Several area high schools have postponed the boys' and girls' basketball games that had been slated to be played tonight.
Games that have been postponed include:
• North Augusta at Lexington
• White Knoll at Aiken
• South Aiken at Dutch Fork
• Blackville-Hilda at Ridge Spring-Monetta
• Strom Thurmond at Midland Valley
• North at Fox Creek
• Williston-Elko at Wagener-Salley
• Silver Bluff at Bamberg-Ehrhardt
Other area closings/postponements
The North Augusta Chamber of Commerce is closed today.
• The North Augusta Parks and Recreation Department has canceled all games for tonight and will reschedule them at a later date.
• North Augusta Municipal Court has canceled court sessions today and Wednesday.
• The Aiken County Best Friend Express bus service will close at 2 p.m. today and will not operate on Wednesday.
• The Aiken County School District has canceled tonight's School Board meeting.
• All libraries in the Aiken - Bamberg - Barnwell - Edgefield area, including the Nancy Carson Library, will close today at noon and remain closed until Thursday.
• Premier Martial Arts in North Augusta is closed today and Wednesday.
• Municipal Court for the City of Aiken has been canceled today. Those cases will be rescheduled for a later date.
• The Boys & Girls Club of Aiken is closed today and Wednesday. Parents are asked not to bring their children to the club today.
SRS has dismissed "non-essential" personnel from work today and tomorrow. A delay in reporting time for employees on Thursday is expected. Employees are asked to monitor 725-SITE, or check srs.gov for updated information.
• The Board of Zoning Appeals meeting tonight is canceled. The next meeting will be Feb 25.
• The DHEC Langley Pond community meeting scheduled today at Aiken Tech has been canceled.
• The schedule for the following departments at Aiken Regional Medical Centers has been changed due to the weather:
The Palmetto Pediatric Center will close at noon today and will be closed on Wednesday. The Wound Healing Institute of Carolina will be closed on Wednesday. The Vein Center will close at noon today and will be closed on Wednesday The Cancer Care Institute, Southside Imaging Center and Women's LifeCare Diagnostic Services will delay its opening on Wednesday. It will be open from 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Emergency Department will remain open, as will ambulance services.
• University Hospital is closed Wednesday to all non-essential employees.
• Shaw Industries in Aiken will close early today. B shift workers should not report to work tonight. 1st Shift and C shift employees should plan on reporting to work at noon on Wednesday unless otherwise notified.
• The annual North Augusta High School NJROTC inspection has been moved from Thursday to March 13.
• All CSRA Goodwill operations, including retail stores, administrative offices and Helms College, will close at 5 p.m. today and will open Wednesday at 10 a.m.
• The WE sisters monthly lunch scheduled Wednesday has been canceled.
• All Shepeard Community Blood Centers are closed today. They will reopen Wednesday at noon and resume regular operating hours.
• All Georgia Bank & Trust and Southern Bank & Trust branch locations will close today at 4 p.m.
To report a closing for this list, please e-mail News Editor Scott Rodgers at email@example.com or call us at 803-279-2793.
North Augusta Star is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not North Augusta Star.