Myrtle Beach woman charged in son’s death

MYRTLE BEACH (The Sun News) — A Myrtle Beach woman was charged Thursday in connection with her 2-month-old son dying in March, according to authorities.

Caitlin Elisabeth Jackson, 27, of Myrtle Beach was booked into J. Reuben Long Detention Center at 12:36 p.m. Thursday and charged with unlawful neglect of a child, according to jail records. She was released at 7:31 p.m. on $10,000 bond.

In a police report filed March 22, Horry County officer were called at 4:30 a.m. that day to 418 Brandy Mill Blvd. for an unresponsive infant. When officers arrived, they found a 59-year-old woman, who was identified as the child’s grandmother, doing CPR on the victim.

EMS arrived and continued medical treatment and took the baby to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center, according to the report. The child was pronounced dead at 5:24 a.m. March 22, but no other details about his death were listed in the report.

Two-month-old Isaiah Jackson died of sudden infant death syndrome, definitive etiology not determined, said Horry County Coroner Robert Edge.

Horry County police learned from the grandmother that she was woken up by her 4-year-old grandchild, who said she couldn’t wake her mother, Jackson, according to the report. The grandmother said she found Jackson and the infant in the computer room, and the baby was not responsive to her.

The grandmother told police the computer chair was knocked over, and Jackson was laying beside the victim, who was in a small bouncy chair type of bassinet, according to the report. Officers noted that Jackson was “incoherent due to a high level of intoxication and did not know what had happened.”

Jackson had little reaction to the situation, and officers learned she had consumed Xanax and alcohol, according to the report. Officers found a pill bottle that was filled on March 21 with 60 pills. The bottle contained 32 pills with 28 pills missing, and Jackson told officers she was the only person consuming them.

Because of Jackson’s intoxicated state at the time of the incident, Horry County police Lt. Robert Kegler said authorities waited until toxicology results were available before they charged Jackson in the baby’s death. He said it appeared she collapsed onto the child when she fell out of the chair, so detectives charged Jackson with unlawful neglect.