North Augusta police blotter

  • Thursday, June 13, 2013

A grand larceny occurred between May 7 and May 27 (but was reported June 5) on West Woodlawn Avenue, involving $2,515 in jewelry being stolen. Taken were a diamond necklace, an emerald necklace, a garnet ring and 25 silver dollars.

A larceny occurred June 3 on Knox Avenue. Stolen from an unattended grocery cart was a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 cellphone at a store on Knox Avenue. The owner accidentally left it behind and returned to find it gone.

A North Augusta teenager was arrested and jailed June 5 on charges of second-degree burglary and possession of a controlled substance, after an early-morning break-in at Paul Knox Middle School, involving $500 in computer equipment being stolen. An officer arriving saw a man walking away from the school, told him repeatedly to stop and eventually lost track of him, but footprints and blood evidence led to a residence on Wells Road, where the suspect was taken into custody and found to possess “a brown and green leafy substance consistent with marijuana.”

A burglary occurred on Winburn Street June 3. Stolen were a $600 Samsung-brand TV set and a $50 “statue of an unknown football player still in the box.”

A man from Augusta was arrested and jailed May 31 on charges of shoplifting and failure to stop for blue lights, after an incident at a variety store on Knox Avenue. Taken (and recovered) was a TV set valued at $956, with the incident involving the use of “stop sticks” against the getaway car, after it was pursued into Augusta. The suspect ran away and was caught in the Fifth Street area.

A May 28 incident of malicious injury to personal property and theft from a motor vehicle occurred on Georgia Avenue, with $635 in items being stolen and $300 in damage being inflicted to an Augusta woman’s car while she and her husband were running on the Greeneway. Stolen was a Michael Kors-brand pocketbook, which contained a Vera Bradley wallet and other items.

An incident of suspicious activity was reported on Dunbarton Drive May 31. A man reported having received a computer message allegedly from the U.S. Department of Justice, informing him that “the computer that he owned had been tapped by the federal government, and that if he wanted to release the hold from his computer to get back on the internet, he needed to send $300 to them.” Officers determined it was a scam.

Aiken Standard

© 2016 Aiken Standard an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.