Police: Suspect allegedly spits on officers

A New Ellenton man was detained on multiple charges, including throwing of bodily fluids on an officer, after he allegedly spit on two officers, according to the Aiken Department of Public Safety.

William Arthur Green Jr., 23, of Valley Avenue, was charged with disorderly conduct, providing false information, failure to comply, criminal domestic violence and two counts of throwing of bodily fluids on an officer. He was placed in the Aiken County detention center, where he remained on Wednesday night.

The incident happened just after 8 p.m. on Tuesday on Crosland Drive, where officers responded to a fight in progress, according to a report.

The victim said she and Green were arguing while she was driving, and that he began attacking her, striking her with a closed fist and pulling a majority of her hair weave out, according to the report.

While being questioned, Green reportedly gave officers a false age and birth date, and when asked for an ID told them he didn’t have one, according to the report. Green then repeatedly using profanity “in a loud and boisterous manner” toward all officers on the scene.

Green was warned multiple times to stop using profanity, and after disregarding the warnings he was placed under arrest for disorderly conduct.

Green allegedly spit in one officer’s face and on another officer’s shirt as they placed him into a patrol car, according to the report.

Authorities investigate suspicious fire

Authorities are investigating a suspicious fire that happened on Dogwood Drive in North Augusta on Tuesday, according to the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office.

The fire, which was reported about 3:30 a.m., allegedly started in a back bedroom from an electrical heater, according to a report. The fire was deemed suspicious because it appeared to have started in two locations.

In addition to the back bedroom, investigators found an area in the accompanying bathroom underneath the sink, according to the report. Officers found clothing under the sink cabinet that appeared to be a source in helping start the fire.

There was a gap of 8 to 10 feet between the two fire spots; however, there was no burned area that connected the two spots, according to the report.

The victim said she went to sleep on the sofa about 10 p.m., and the suspect, her ex-boyfriend, went into the back bedroom, according to the report. She later awoke to the smell of smoke and found that the suspect had left the home.

No arrests have been made in the blaze.