S.C. man who shot 2 pleads guilty to gun charge

  • Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 9:56 p.m.

S.C. man who shot 2 pleads guilty to gun charge

COLUMBIA (AP) — A convicted felon who shot and killed two men he said were trying to rob his Spartanburg apartment has pleaded guilty to a federal weapons charge.

U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles said Douglas Williams pleaded guilty Wednesday to being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Authorities said Williams shot 22-year-old Michael Gentry-Hill Jr. and 18-year-old Darren Hill in April.

At the time, Sheriff Chuck Wright said Williams’ apartment had been broken into three times previously. Investigators said Williams got the gun from the glove compartment of his girlfriend’s car.

State police said Williams should not have had a weapon at all because of a 2008 forgery conviction.

Williams faces up to 10 years in prison when he is sentenced on the federal charge. He was not charged in the shootings.

Comments { }

Commenting rules: Do not post offensive, racial or violent messages. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the commenter, not www.aikenstandard.com. Click 'report abuse' for any comments that you feel should be removed from the site. However, www.aikenstandard.com is not obligated to remove any comment posted on the site. Moderators do not have the ability to edit comments. Read the terms of use.