Nadal keeps expectations low before comeback

  • Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 11:48 p.m.

VINA DEL MAR, Chile — Rafael Nadal says he’s not focused on winning his first match in eight months when he returns next week at the Chile Open.

Nadal said Saturday that results aren’t as important for now as reaching “an acceptable level,” after a left knee injury forced him to take the longest break of his career.

The 11-time Grand Slam champion says his knee hurts sometimes and he’s going to remain “humble and patient” in his comeback. Nadal hasn’t played since losing in the second round at Wimbledon in June.

He says he passed six blood and urine doping tests since then and supports strict controls to keep tennis clean.

Comments { }

Commenting rules: Do not post offensive, racial or violent messages. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the commenter, not www.aikenstandard.com. Click 'report abuse' for any comments that you feel should be removed from the site. However, www.aikenstandard.com is not obligated to remove any comment posted on the site. Moderators do not have the ability to edit comments. Read the terms of use.