Joyful Victory sets track record, week features bevy of winners
Fox Hill Farm’s Joyful Victory set a track record for 1 1/16-mile in winning the Houston Ladies Classic Saturday night at Sam Houston Race Park. The 5-year-old daughter of Tapit was .44 seconds faster than the previous record established by Desert Air nearly 14 years earlier. Joyful Victory was broken and trained in Aiken by Tim and Cary Frommer.
• Dogwood Stable’s Big Screen won by daylight scoring by 6 lengths in a 1-mile allowance race Thursday at Gulfstream Park. The 4-year-old son of the 2004 Eclipse Award-winning sprinter Speightstown was trained in Aiken by Legacy Stable’s Brad Stauffer and Ron Stevens.
The Tom Albertrani charge eclipsed the $100,000 mark in earnings, boosting his lifetime bankroll to $112,560.
• Darley Stable’s Transparent broke his maiden Saturday in a 1-mile, 70-yard race at Aqueduct, winning easily and scoring by 5 3/4-lengths, while being confidently handled by jockey Irad Ortiz Jr. The son of the 2006 Eclipse Award-winning oustanding 3-year-old Male Bernardini is trained by Kiaran McLaughlin. Tim Jones broke and trained Transparent in Aiken.
• Chieftain Stables III, LLC’s Liberty Bound won a 6-furlong race by 2 lengths on Jan. 20 at Oaklawn Park. The 4-year-old gelded son of Mr. Greeley is trained by Randy Morse and was trained in Aiken by Legacy Stable’s Brad Stauffer and Ron Stevens.
• Winners Circle Partners X’s Fearsome won a 5 1/2-furlong race by daylight Saturday, winning by 5 1/4 lengths with jockey Jonathan Joyce in the irons. The 4-year-old dark bay son of Speightstown is conditioned by Hugh McMahon. It was Fearsome’s fourth lifetime victory. The colt was broken and trained by Tim and Cary Frommer.
• Darley Stable’s stakes-placed Delightful Quality ran second in the 6-furlong Cagey Exuberance Stakes Sunday at Aqueduct.
The dark bay filly conditioned by Tom Albertrani was coming off a third-place finish in the Garland Of Roses Stakes on Dec. 1, the final start of her sophomore campaign, and was making her 2013 seasonal bow on Sunday. Tim Jones broke and trained Delightful Quality in Aiken.