State News in Brief
19-year-old man killed in Taylors
TAYLORS (AP) — Authorities said a 19-year-old on a skateboard has been killed after being struck by at least three vehicles in Taylors.
Investigators said Joshua McIntyre was riding his skateboard in the road around 6:30 p.m. Monday when he was hit by a 1992 Chevrolet. He died at the scene.
Troopers said it appears two other vehicles then hit McIntyre, but those drivers did not stop.
The Highway Patrol is investigating the incident and looking for any information about the other vehicles.
Man shot after setting mom on fire
PIEDMONT (AP) — Authorities said a man shot his brother after learning he had set their mother on fire in Piedmont.
Investigators said 61-year-old Debra Davis suffered burns on at least 40 percent of her body Tuesday morning. She has been taken to a burn center in Augusta.
Authorities said the son then went to his brother’s house in Greenville where he was shot after getting into an argument. The wounded man is expected to survive.
Greenville County deputies said they don’t expect to file charges in the shooting. Anderson County deputies said they are still investigating the incident where the woman was burned, but no charges have been filed.
Sex offender attacks 4-year-old in Easley
EASLEY (AP) — Authorities said a registered sex offender lured a 4-year-old girl from her Easley home into the woods, where he sexually assaulted and beat her.
Pickens County deputies said 42-year-old Jerry Dudley was arrested last week and charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor, abuse with intent to inflict great bodily injury on a child and kidnapping.
Investigators said Dudley beat the girl with his fists and raped her during the Friday attack. Deputies arrested him less than an hour later.
Authorities said the girl remains in the hospital, but is recovering.
Dudley has been a registered sex offender since he was convicted in 1989 in Florida of an attack on a child under age 16. He remains in jail and it wasn’t known if he had a lawyer.
Thurmond won’t run again for position
CHARLESTON (AP) — The man who lost a runoff against Tim Scott in the 2010 Republican primary in South Carolina’s 1st Congressional district won’t run for the U.S. House seat this time.
State Sen. Paul Thurmond said he thinks he can serve the people better by concentrating on the South Carolina Senate seat he won last year. Thurmond is the son of the late U.S. Sen. Strom Thurmond.
Scott will be sworn in as South Carolina’s new U.S. senator on Wednesday, replacing Jim DeMint. Primaries for his open U.S. House seat will be held in March, with the election for the seat in May.
Filing is set to begin Jan. 18 and more than a dozen people have expressed interest, including former Gov. Mark Sanford and his ex-wife Jenny Sanford.