The deadline to register to vote in the November general election is Saturday, and absentee voting begins Monday.
Applications are available online at www.scvotes.org or in person at the Aiken County Registration and Elections office, 916 Vaucluse Road. Completed forms may be mailed, faxed, emailed or submitted in person.
Voter registration is also now available online at www.scvotes.org with a valid driver's license or identification card issued by the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles. South Carolina is the 13th state to make voter registration available online, according to the state Election Commission.
The general election is Nov. 6.
Those who are eligible to register are people who turn 18 on or before the election and those who have never before registered to vote. Those who have registered previously do not need to re-register.
There is no length of residency requirement in South Carolina in order to register to vote.
People who submit a completed registration form must attach a copy of their valid current photo ID or a copy of a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government form that shows that person's name and address.
Voters who are 65 or older, voters with disabilities and those in uniformed services are exempt from that requirement.
Absentee voting is open to all those who, depending on their individual circumstances, will not be able to visit their polling precinct on Election Day, according to Cynthia Holland, executive director of County Registration and Elections.
Absentee voting may be completed in person up until 5 p.m. the day before the election or conducted by mail.
People who, for reasons of employment, will not be able to vote, those with physical disabilities or those who will be out of their county of residence on Election Day, among other reasons, may vote absentee.
Absentee votes will be accepted in person at the Aiken County Registration and Elections Office beginning Monday. Or, people can call the office to request an absentee ballot application be mailed to their residence or print out an application from www.scvotes.org.
If voting absentee in person at the Registration and Elections office, a person must have with them either their registration card, their driver's license or a state-issued photo ID.
For more information, call the Registration and Elections office at 642-2028. Its mailing address is 916 Vaucluse Road, Aiken, SC 29801. Its fax number is 642-2029. Completed voter registration forms can be emailed to email@example.com.
Persons qualified to vote by absentee ballot:
• Persons who will be on vacation outside their county of residence on Election Day
• Members of the Uniformed Services or Merchant Marine, and their spouses and dependents residing with them
• Persons who, for reasons of employment, will not be able to vote on election day
• Physically disabled persons• Persons 65 years of age or older
• Persons serving as a juror in state or federal court on Election Day
• Persons admitted to the hospital as emergency patients on day of election or within a four-day period before the election
• Persons with a death or funeral in the family within three days before the election
• Persons confined to a jail or pre-trial facility pending disposition of arrest or trial
• Persons attending sick or physically disabled persons
• Certified poll watchers, poll managers, and county election officials working on Election Day
Notice about comments: