††Another public meeting will be held to discuss the Dougherty Road Corridor Study this evening.
This meeting will be a “drop-in” format to gather comments from people who live or own a business in that area. Various design alternatives and a needs assessment of the Dougherty Road corridor will be presented.
The Dougherty Road Corridor Study is being conducted by URS Consultants for the City of Aiken and Aiken County. This transportation study costs around $90,000, with 80 percent covered by federal funding – the County and City split the remaining 20 percent.
The reason for the study is that Dougherty Road, which has a 60-foot right-of-way and is lined by small businesses and several homes, connects Whiskey and Silver Bluff roads. Pine Log Road is the only other connection of the two busy highways unless motorists drive past Woodside Plantation. It’s estimated that Dougherty Road is already at 94 percent of its design capacity, according to the City Planning Department and traffic is only expected to increase as the city continues to expand.
“Dougherty Road is an extremely important connector between Whiskey and Silver Bluff roads,” said City of Aiken Planning Director Ed Evans. “The meeting Thursday will give interested citizens a chance to see and comment on preliminary ideas on the future of the corridor. There has been strong public participation so far and we expect a large turnout at the meeting.”
The meeting will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. today at the Knights of Columbus located 1003 Spaulding Drive.
For more information, call the Aiken Planning Department at 642-7608 or email planning@CityofAikensc.gov.
Notice about comments:
Aiken Standard is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.