SULLIVANS ISLAND, S.C. (AP) — The National Park Service is scheduled to open the buildings at the lighthouse on Sullivans Island to visitors.
The historic Coast Guard District where the light is located has buildings dating to the late 1800s, when it was part of what was called the U.S. Life-Saving Service. The Life-Saving Service and the Revenue Cutter Service were combined as the Coast Guard in 1915.
Visitors will be able to tour those buildings Saturday, but, because of safety concerns, not go up the lighthouse itself.
The light, commissioned in 1962, is the last major lighthouse built in the United States.
It became obsolete in an era of GPS technology, and the National Park Service acquired the lighthouse and adjoining Coast Guard buildings five years ago.
Notice about comments:
Aiken Standard is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.