Crime news in brief for Dec. 4
Two detained for prescription fraud
Two people detained for prescription fraud this weekend reportedly had a variety of other drug paraphernalia in their vehicle, according to a report by the Aiken Department of Public Safety.
The suspects were being questioned in the parking lot of a drug store on Richland Avenue on Friday when officers noticed a glass pipe and a syringe filled with a “brown liquid substance” in plain view inside the vehicle, according to the report.
While searching one of the suspects, officers found two small plastic bags containing a white “crystal-like” substance, a “pen-like” flashlight containing a clear plastic straw and a metal container containing two pills, according to the report. Inside the vehicle, officers found more pills, a second syringe with a brown substance in it and a spoon that appeared to be burned. Several syringes were also found on the floor board and in the glove compartment.
Officers also found a small butane burner, another spoon appearing to be burned and a brown cigar containing a green leafy substance, according to the report.
Cops: shoplifter was intoxicated, had pot
A 43-year-old Aiken man who was reportedly intoxicated while shoplifting from Walmart was also in possession of marijuana, according to a Public Safety report.
The suspect entered the Walmart on Whiskey Road around 1 a.m. Monday, walked around the store and selected two jackets and a sweatshirt, according to the report. He put the sweatshirt on and tried to leave the store through a locked door without paying for the items.
The suspect was reportedly intoxicated and could not stand without assistance. During a search of the man, officers found a small bag of marijuana and a marijuana pipe.
The man was charged with shoplifting, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Warrenville tree house set on fire
A Warrenville woman told authorities someone set fire to her children’s tree house, according to the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office.
The fire happened around 3:20 p.m. Saturday on Myrtle Street. The victim said she was in her backyard hanging laundry up to dry when she heard someone in the tree house, according to the report.
She told officers she thought it was one of her kids and returned to her home, and that within a couple of minutes she saw the tree house consumed in flames.
The woman was able to extinguish the fire with a garden hose and did not call 911 until after she got it put out, according to the report.